Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 2: Transient Step Voltages and Ohm's law
The main aim of this unit is to introduce to you the fundamental electrical principles and theory that relate to how surges being induced into the electrical installation.
All prices shown are exclusive of VAT which will be added at checkout.
Mr Robin Earl, Market Development Manager, DEHN (UK) Ltd.
Robin has over twenty years’ experience of the field surge protection, originally trained by DEHN and SOHNE prior to the establishment of the DEHN UK Office. He is currently serving in BS7671 JPEL64 subcommittee D on Surge Protection and Foundation Earthing. He has presented many CPD seminars on Surge Protection and Lightning protection to IET and CIBSE members.
Dr Tony Sung, Director, Energy Reduction Management Ltd
Tony is an independent Chartered Energy and Electrical Engineering Consultant. Tony was the course tutor for the MEng(Hons) degree course in Architectural Science and Engineering Services at Manchester University. He has given lectures in Lightning and Surge Protection to BEng(Hons), MEng(Hons) and MSc students in UK and Overseas universities. He is currently the Chairman of CIBSE Electrical Services Group and representing CIBSE on BS7671 the main JPEL64 committee. He is also External Examiner to the University of Northampton.
2. Appreciate the transient step voltage can be evaluated using Ohm's law
3. Understand the use of Ampere's circuital law and Lenz's law in induced lightning surges
4. Understand the origin of transient surge currents
5. Appreciate how the flow of transient surge currents within an electrical installation is the result of electromagnetic induction
6. Appreciate how switching events can also have a transient surge effect