Surge Protection to BS7671 - 18th Edition IET Wiring Regulations
This course aims to provide learners with a good understanding of the technical requirements for surge protection. The course will outline the general terms and nomenclature that are being used in the IET courses on surge protection and will discuss the surge protection requirements according to the BS7671 standard.
Modules will also consider the need for surge protection for general electrical installations and the importance of good earthing and main equipotential bonding. The course will explore the Calculated Risk Level (CRL) for the use of SPDs in LV systems and the correct selection, installation and monitoring of SPDs.
All prices shown are exclusive of VAT which will be added at checkout.
• Understand the surge protection requirements in BS7671
• Understand when the use of BS EN 62305 specialists would be advisable
• Understand the Calculated Risk Level (CRL) for SPDs use in LV systems
• Understand the correct selection and installation of SPDs for small buildings which do not require an external lightning protection system
• Understand the importance of monitoring the health status of SPDs and replacing them when they have exhausted their surge protection counts
Mr Robin Earl, Market Development Manager, DEHN (UK) Ltd.
Robin has over twenty years’ experience of the field surge protection, originally trained by DEHN and SOHNE prior to the establishment of the DEHN UK Office. He is currently serving in BS7671 JPEL64 subcommittee D on Surge Protection and Foundation Earthing. He has presented many CPD seminars on Surge Protection and Lightning protection to IET and CIBSE members.
Dr Tony Sung, Director, Energy Reduction Management Ltd
Tony is an independent Chartered Energy and Electrical Engineering Consultant. Tony was the course tutor for the MEng(Hons) degree course in Architectural Science and Engineering Services at Manchester University. He has given lectures in Lightning and Surge Protection to BEng(Hons), MEng(Hons) and MSc students in UK and Overseas universities. He is currently the Chairman of CIBSE Electrical Services Group and representing CIBSE on BS7671 the main JPEL64 committee. He is also External Examiner to the University of Northampton.
Units included in this course
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 1: Introduction to Voltage Surge and its Related Phenomena
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 2: Transient Step Voltages and Ohm's law
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 3: Earthing System Types and Safety Requirements for Earthing
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 4: BS 7671 - Layout Plan, Symbols and Definitions
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 5: BS 7671 Regulations on Surge Protection - Part A
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 6: BS 7671 Regulations on Surge Protection - Part B
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 7: BS 7671 Regulations on Surge Protection - Part C
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 8: BS 7671 Regulations on Surge Protection - Part D
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 9: BS 7671 Regulations on Surge Protection - Part E
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 10: BS 7671 Regulations on Surge Protection - Part F: Inspection & testing of Electrical Installations with SPDs
- Surge Protection to BS7671 Unit 11: Final Assessment