Renewable Energy Integration
This online course introduces the learner to renewable energy generation technologies and sets them into the context of modern power systems with conventional generators. Modern power systems and the control and operation of synchronous generators are examined including the unconventional electrical generators and/or power electronics often employed by renewable energy technologies.
The course looks at the effects of introducing these types of generation on dynamic performance of power systems. The cost of energy of different technologies used at renewable energy sites and typical project costs are covered, including tax credits and feed-in tariffs. The course also examines different designs of the electrical systems in these plants and presents an overview of the relevant S&C products.
All prices shown are exclusive of VAT which will be added at checkout.
|Partner Details||The University of Strathclyde is 1st in Scotland and 3rd in the UK for research quality. The Wind Energy & Control group at the University is an international leader in wind energy and the control of wind turbines and wind farms. The group is also one of the leading and largest power systems and energy technology university research groups in Europe.|
• Understand and describe renewable energy technologies
• Describe the general structure of a modern power system and list typical components
• Explain the fundamental aspects of power system operation; explain voltage and frequency characteristics
• Explain the basics of synchronous generators, induction generators and transformers
• Describe the concepts of power quality and reliability of the power supply
• Discuss operation and control of conventional generation and its role in power systems
• Familiarise with the influence of excitation and governor control in large synchronous machines
• Describe characteristics of hydro, steam, gas, solar, wave tidal and wind turbines and their grid reference
• Discuss the use of power electronic equipment in electronic power networks
• Understand the impact of variable energy sources such as solar and wind on power network dynamics
• Discuss fundamental concepts of economics of renewable energy sources
• Identify designs and solutions used inside a renewable site